Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Zoning of my property?
Are farm animals regulated by Zoning?
Are noise levels regulated by Zoning?
Is fencing regulated by Zoning & Building Codes?
Who do I contact about overgrowth, trash vacant dilapidated structures, inoperable vehicles, zoning issues?
- Contact Tabitha Blackwell, 423-753-1753 ext 1 or firstname.lastname@example.org
When are permits required?
- When constructing any building structure, pool, decks, additions, renovations, manufactured housing and grading.
Are plans required for new typical residential construction permits?
What documents are required to obtain a building permit?
- Application, septic permit and driveway permit
Who do I contact for a driveway permit?
- Washington County Highway Department, 423-753-1714
Who do I contact about my septic system or obtain my septic permits?
- TDEC-Tennessee Department of Environment & Conservation 423-854-5400 https://www.tn.gov/environment/contacts.html
Does Washington County issue electrical permits?
- No - Contact State of TN for permits & inspections https://www.tn.gov/commerce/fire/permit/electrical
Are tiny homes allowed in Washington County?
- Yes - Anywhere single family dwellings are allowed and must be site built and located on a permanent foundation. Check for subdivision and deed restrictions.
Are barn-dominium style dwellings allowed in Washington County?
- Yes - Anywhere single family dwellings are allowed. Stamped drawings from a design professional are required for all alternative construction methods.
Does Washington County issue a permit for a manufactured home?
- Yes - For zoning compliance only, i.e. setbacks, yard stablization
Does Washington County conduct inspections for setting up a manufactured home?
- No - TN Dept of Commerce & Insurance Manufacture & Modular Housing 615-741-7192 https://www.tn.gov/commerce/fire/sections-programs/fire-manufactured-housing.html